Candidacy for Tubal Reversal Surgery

Tubal Reversal is a type of surgery performed to reverse the effects of tubal ligation. Tubal ligation is a surgical procedure that seals the fallopian tubes to prevent eggs from reaching the uterus. Women usually undergo this procedure as a form of family planning. Most often, the intention is to become permanently incapable of conceiving; however, most women regret the decision. When this happens, tubal reversal surgery is considered.

Who Is a Candidate for Tubal Reversal Surgery?

Not all women who went through the tubal ligation surgery are qualified for tubal reversal. A fertility specialist, surgeon or any qualified health care provider will perform several assessments to determine the candidacy for the procedure. There are several factors to be considered. An excellent candidate will have a high success rate of conceiving again after the procedure.

One of the factors to be considered is the type of tubal ligation performed in the patient. Through laparoscopy, the fallopian tubes will be examined to determine how the tubal ligation was done, and what part of the fallopian tubes were affected. Women who had just a small portion of their fallopian tubes removed, or had their fallopian tubes blocked through clips or rings, are good candidates for a tubal reversal surgery.

The health of the fallopian tubes will also be assessed. The greater the damage is to the fallopian tube during the tubal ligation, the lesser the success rate is of getting pregnant. If this is the case, the health care provider may advise for an alternative to a tubal reversal such as in vitro fertilization (IVF).

Age also plays an important factor in determining candidacy for tubal reversal. Excellent candidates for the procedure are those under the age of 40. They have a higher success rate of getting pregnant. As a woman gets older, the tubal reversal success rate decreases.

Candidacy for tubal reversal surgery can be best determined by a specialist. If interested with the procedure, scheduling a consultation may be the best first step.

Have specific questions?

All Article Categories

Suggested Doctors

Recently Asked Questions