It is not uncommon that sexual issues can prevent conception. Sexual issues are frequent causes of infertility. Sexual issues may occur both in men and women at any stage during sexual intercourse. In men, common sexual issues include erectile dysfunction, dyspareunia (pain during intercourse) or lack of libido.
Sexual Issue Categories
Sexual issues may be categorized as follows:
- Desire disorders (lack of libido)
- Arousal disorders, which often have a psychological cause
- Orgasm disorders, in men may be caused by the lengthy administration of drugs such as Zoloft or Prozac
- Sexual pain disorders (i.e. dyspareunia)
Erectile dysfunction may be the main cause of sexual issues in men. The erectile dysfunction may be caused by different psychological or physical factors including:
- Low testosterone
- Blood circulation problems
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back injuries
- Birth defects
- Drug consumption
- Alcohol and smoking
- Certain drugs such as antihistamines, blood pressure medicine (antihypertensives)
- Prostate problems or tumors on the prostate gland
- Chronic diseases
Dyspareunia is pain felt before, during or after intercourse and is more frequently met in women, but may also be present in men. The pain may be due to medical or physiological issues. Health issues such as bladder infections or prostate problems may be causing this pain. Certain sexually transmitted diseases such as Gonorrhea may also cause painful intercourse.
Stress or psychological traumas caused by sexual encounters may also cause painful sexual intercourse. Typically, once the issues are detected and treated, the sexual problems may also go away.
Other Possible Causes of Sexual Issues
Other possible sexual issues may include:
- Back pain that may interfere with sexual acts
- Drug, stimulants and alcohol consumption in excess
- Heart conditions that may cause pain and discomfort
- The administration of drugs such as Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac or other SSRI anti depressants that will decrease libido
- Aging, which may decrease libido in men
- Fatigue can affect sexual desire
- If there are problems in the relationship, lack of trust between the partners and a communication gap, these may also cause sexual issues.
Depression may be a factor causing sexual issues in men. Depressed men may have erectile dysfunction or simply lack sexual desire. Therapy and medication can be administered to cure depression. However, the cause of the depression should be established first.
Symptoms of Sexual Issues
Men that have sexual issues may present other symptoms besides the obvious erectile dysfunction. Symptoms of male sexual issue may include:
- Lack of or decreased interest in sex
- Inability to get aroused
- Pain before, during of after intercourse
- Delayed ejaculation or no ejaculation
- Incapacity to keep an erection as much as usually
Male patients suffering from sexual issues may get treatment, which will be applied based on the cause of the problem.